Tuesday, July 22, 2014

At Home. "Duck Soup"

"Duck Soup," oil, 30"h x 24"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
Phew. Three weekends have been spent traveling to the Hamptons (Amagansett Fine Art Festival) and back, to Wickford Rhode Island (the Wickford Fine Art Festival) and back, and this past weekend -- Westport Connecticut (the Westport Fine Arts Festival) and back. Added to the travel were lots of fine conversations, connections, some paintings going to new homes, tent set-up, arranging paintings and packing them up again, dinners looking out at the water/harbor/river -- all thrown into the mix in the days away.

Before I left to head to Westport, "Duck Soup" was the painting on my easel. It was great to return to it today.

The scene is one I passed by over and over again this Spring in Florence, Italy. This street-side shop fascinated me -- with objects oddly combined -- being arranged but also tempting an avalanche.  I'll let this settle for a bit. It may be finished or maybe not. An objective look later will let me know.

We're moving soon.  The walls are getting more bare (thanks to Randy) and it's time to empty cupboards, desks, studio, sort.  Actually, past time, as the recent bustle has made this effort, well, late. Packers will come but there's much we'd prefer to handle ourselves. (I don't want to spend a month figuring out where the salt shaker is. Or lose a one-of-a-kind piece from my year sculpting.)

"The Dock Shop," oil, ©Jill Banks 2014 went to a new home via the Westport Fine Arts Festival
We'll soon be in a new neighborhood, a short distance away, where I'm looking forward to figuring out how to make this new home our own. There will be much I'll miss ... and yet I'm ready to enjoy the change! The boxes, packing, etc. ... in between stuff is but a hurdle.

Coming up very soon is ... Italy, Part 2 (in the wine region of Piemonte).  I don't know how reliable my Internet connection will be for the next few weeks -- with the move, B&Bs in Italy, travel, etc. but will try to keep you posted on the great adventure and workshop that awaits.

Coming Up
  • Aug. 16-Oct. 12: Paint the Shenandoah Exhibition, River District Arts, Sperryville, VA
  • Aug. 23-24: Shadyside: The Art Festival on Walnut Street, Pittsburgh, PA
  • September 13 & 14: Alexandria (King Street) Art Festival, Alexandria, VA
  • September 20 & 21: Armonk Outdoor Art Show, Armonk, New York
  • October 5: McLean MPA Artfest, Sunday, October 5, McLean, VA. 52 artists in McLean Central Park
  • Oct. 17-19: Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA
  • Ongoing: Visit the studio I share with 14 other artists at the Artists’ Atelier, Great Falls, VA open Wed. and Sat., 12- 4pm
  • Jan.-Feb. 2015: Solo Exhibit, ArtSpace Herndon, Herndon, VA
  • See the Events page for more info/updates
Thanks for reading,

Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email:
jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com


Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel (This link takes you to the subscription page.)
Paint with Me in Italy: August 3 to 10, 2014. For more info, itinerary and links to register, see the classes page on my web site. Great folks are signing up to join me on this wonderful adventure. I hope you can, too! 

No comments: